June 13, 2011

Mickey Mouse

This is a bit of a repeat of a cake I did last year... The difference is last time I covered it in fondant and this one is buttercream. The cake is chocolate fudge with red vanilla buttercream. The Mickey head/hat is also cake (baked in the Wilton Ball pan), then covered in buttercream and fondant. The ears are fondant/gumtex mix.

Tip:
Bright red icing is tough to get. Believe me! I’ve had more than a few bad experiences dying buttercream red. Here are a few tips to successfully achieve red icing…
1.       Add cocoa to your buttercream (so you start with a chocolate icing). I don’t find you’ll get a bright “lightening McQueen” red… but you will get a nice, deep fire engine kind of red. AND the chocolate hides the nasty taste of the red food dye.
2.       DON’T use liquid red. You’ll just end up with bright pink, and a very thin icing.
3.       Use wilton no taste red gel food color, available at Michaels and Bulk Barn (Might be at Walmart and Scoop & Save too – I haven’t personally bought it there before.)
4.       My ABSOLUTELY new FAVORITE is Ameri-color. I ordered it online and you need only a quarter IF that of Wilton’s gel color. What’s crazier… I got a 4.5oz bottle for just a dollar more than what I can get 1oz of Wilton color! I know. WELL worth it.

1 comment:

Cake by Krista said...

where do you order your americolor paste? I did a quick online search and can only find it on ebay..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails