June 13, 2011

Rapunzel Tower cake

Some cakes I just have so much fun with. Probably because I’m still a kid at heart and LOVE watching cartoons with my daughter. These cakes will keep me young, since I get to ‘research’ for each cake. As I’m sure watching Rapunzel about 15 times was necessary for the preparation of this cake.
The cake is vanilla pound. The client is going to add a Rapunzel doll on the right hand side. I wish I had a picture of the cake with the doll. I always test my accuracy with my daughter. I don’t tell her what I’m making. In fact, most of the time I only start after she goes to bed. So when she wakes up I ask her to come see something. I wait to see if she can tell me what it is. In this case, I probably should have told her, because this is how the reveal of the cake went:

Me: Hey Mia… wanna come see a cake I made?
Mia: Yaaaa!
We walk into the kitchen…
Mia: Awwww Mom…you made me a Rapunzel cake, and a Rapunzel tower for my Rapunzel doll….thanks Mom! Is it my birthday?
Me: No Mia, it’s not your Birthday. It’s for another little girl.
Mia: But Mom, there’s a number 3 on it, just like how old I am.
Me: Mia I’m sorry, it’s not for you.
Mia: Sniff…sniff…sniff…

Tip:
If you want to add a 3d element to a cake, try making a batch of rice krispies squares and shaping it into what you want to make. I use ¼ cup vegetable oil, heat it, add 1 pkg of mini marshmallows and once they’re melted (over low heat, stirring frequently) add about 5 cups of rice krispies. Remove from heat and stir stir stir. Let it cool until you can handle it, then grease your hands with a bit of shortening (or else you’ll have rice krispy square hands) and shape it as you want. Pop it in the fridge to set and tada… just ice it and decorate.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails