June 13, 2011

FHS Grad Cake

Another 2011 grad cake… this was HUGE. It’s a 2 layer 12” square (total of 4” high) topped with a 2 layer 8” square (also 4” high) and the grad cap, made of Rice Krispy treats. Now that’s a lot of fudge marble cake! I guess this would be a good time to note… cake is HEAVY. So many people seem so surprised when they get a 2 tier cake and grab it from me, how heavy it actually is. Well it’s probably at least 2 recipes of pound cake, plus buttercream, plus fondant…. It’s going to weigh a lot.  

As for this cake.. I really enjoyed the clean lines, clean design. It was a nice change from kiddish cakes.

Tip:
Ever wonder how much batter you should use to get a nice high cake? Sometimes a recipe is not enough. Some recipes are actually meant for 1 x 9 inch pan, while others are for 2 x 8 inch pans. Most often I just use my recipe, and experience baking with my recipe. But if you are sure and want a nice high cake refer to this chart… it’s awesome! http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails