June 13, 2011

Weekly Cake...

If I had a nickel for every time I heard "Oh your family must LOVE that you bake cakes all the time..." The truth is, we rarely get to eat cake. (Have you noticed a slice missing from your cake? Didn't think so...) In fact, my husband doesn’t like all of the dirty dishes and my three year old gets upset since I do mostly kids cakes and always seem to be making them for other people. Of course, when a special occasion comes our way, I'll bake and decorate and happily enjoy a piece of cake. All that said, with the arrival of our new little guy, suffering with gestational diabetes throughout my pregnancy and just trying to be healthier (and yeah it would be nice to lose the pregnancy weight), I’ve been looking for fun recipes to try. One of which would be a healthy cake. Let me rephrase that. Not healthy like eat the whole thing and you won’t gain a pound… healthy like something that you don’t feel TOTALLY guilty eating. Something that would be better than eating those chemical and preservative filled snack cakes that SO many kids probably take with them to school and eat with lunch. I’m convinced we can eat well and enjoy it. I have the perfect little tester to try this with.

My first experiment was a few weeks ago with a ‘healthy’ brownie. I made bite sized brownies that included whole wheat flour, spinach, carrot and applesauce in the ingredient roster. Mia devoured them! Seriously, she couldn’t get enough. So I have these super cool twinky pans. So I’m thinking, maybe just maybe I can find something equally yummy to bake in those. What’s funny is that I actually dreamed of a recipe last night. So of course the first chance I got I baked it up. At first I thought it was a flop, but I don’t know if you’ve ever tasted hot cake from the oven…it’s never as good as cooled cake. So I waited a bit longer and it really wasn’t too bad. I was sure Mia was going to say it was weird, or tasted funny, or made up one of thousands of excuses as to why she wouldn’t even try it. On the contrary…she marched in and asked if the apple cake was ready. Apple? Uh oh…she saw me put the applesauce in, what else did she see? I said yes I think it is… she asked for some. Ate it. Asked for more. Ate it. Success… success!

So. We sat down and decorated our mini cakes for our dessert with supper. I made a chocolate cream cheese frosting, which to be honest we did not enjoy at all. But we all ate the cake. A few more tweaks and this one might actually be a keeper. So who says cakes are only for special occasions????

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails