November 16, 2010

Beer Barrel

I got to try a bunch of new stuff for this cake. That's always fun! First, a new recipe... Cinnamon swirl cake. I had a small sliver.... mmm mmm mmm. Then I tried "Bettercream" it's a lighter version to a buttercream. Similar to a whipped cream but has a similar taste to buttercream, just not as sweet. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I must say I do enjoy it and can see myself using it a fair amount. (I'd love to try it with strawberry yogurt cake!) I then tried to make the ice. I got lucky on my third try. It's a sugar and corn syrup concoction that when heated to the right temperature will make a 'candy'. I wasn't heating it enough (I was trying to avoid it reaching the amber stage) unfortunately I learnt the hard way that it needs to reach that stage if I want it to harden.

The wood is made of fondant that I distressed and painted. The beer cans are real and almost torture to use in photo. I'm 7 months pregnant and have been craving a beer since I was 3 months along! Seriously! I was good though... they went back on the shelf.

1 comment:

Hollee said...

that is freakin wicked!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails